I wanted to create a vegan curry with a creamy sauce without the use of heavy ingredients. I prepared the curry base first and used a non-dairy milk to achieve the desired affect of a rich and smooth sauce, then simply threw in the veg. Here’s the recipe which can be adapted for making dishes with beans, tofu or even seafood.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
3 tbsp oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
5-6 cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp chilli
1 tsp Najma’s Garam Masala
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup non-diary milk (e.g. soya, almond, cashew)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
300g frozen baby okra
5-6 small baby potatoes, halved
1. Heat the oil and add the onions. Cook over a medium heat until lightly browned.
2. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook off for a minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and salt, stir and cover . Cook for 5 mins or until the tomatoes begin to soften.
4. Stir in the tomato purée and mix well. Add 1/4 cup of the water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 3-4 mins.
5. Add all the dry spices, stir and continue to cook until the mixture thickens and begins to separate from the oil.
6. Add the fenugreek leaves and then remove the pan from the heat.
7. Stir in the non-diary milk and sugar. Mix and return to heat. Simmer for another 2-3 mins.
8. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water, stir and simmer for another 5 mins. The gravy should not be watery but not too thick either at this point.
9. Stir in the okra and potatoes, coating well with the gravy.
10. Cover and cook on a low flame until cooked through (about 15-20 mins).
Serve with rice, naan or roti.