It was jacket potato night tonight – not by my choice, let me say – so it called for some Chilli to add to the usual ensemble. We had something for everyone, from a left over Chicken Curry from the previous night, the obligatory tuna mayo and grated cheese and, to add some colour and pizzazz, this spicy Indian vegan chilli, a.k.a Rajma!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time 40 mins
- 1 tin (400g) kidney beans in brine, drained and rinsed ( or use aprrox 240g pre-cooked)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the oil gently and add the cumin seeds. Allow to sizzle.
- Add the onions, and cook for approx. 5 mins until softened and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Mix in the tomato puree, then add the dry spices and salt. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add half the water and saute the spice mixture for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Stir in the beans well and add the remaining water.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 mins.
Note: If you prefer more gravy, add another 1/2 cup water after step 7, bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins, or until desired consistency is reached.