So here it is! The promised Jaggery recipe – a healthy home made recipe made with a pure and unrefined whole sugar, jaggery (a.k.a ‘goor’ or ‘gur’). Unlike sugar though, jaggery comprises longer chains of sucrose which means that it releases energy slowly over a longer period of time and therefore does not induce the momentary ‘high’ of a sugar rush. Moreover, jaggery is also rich in vital mineral salts and iron.
Cooking time: approx 50 mins
- 175g jaggery
- 110g long-grain rice such as basmati (rinsed and drained in a sieve)
- 1.14litres (2 pints) semi-skimmed milk
- 3-4 cardomon pods (split)
How to cook
- Place milk and cardamon pods in a heavy based pan and gently bring to boil, stirring often.
- Stir in the rice and simmer on low heat until the rice has softened and starts to break up and the milk has reached a thickened consistency. Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Add the jaggery and simmer again until the jaggery has all melted and any watery appearance has evaporated.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving warm or chill to enjoy as a cold dessert.