These super healthy, gluten-free Fish Kofte taste delicious with a fresh mint raita and can be served either as an appetiser or a side dish with any meal.
Prior to cooking, the fish balls were rolled in rice flour and then coated very liberally with olive oil to give a light golden and slightly crispy outer finish. They were then cooked in my air-fryer for 15 minutes. Equally they can be oven-baked at 180 degrees.
Here is the recipe, but feel free to try combining any vegetables – just steam and mash first before mixing into the fish and spices.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 4-5 (makes approx. 18 golf-sized kofte)
160g tuna chunks in brine, drained
6-8 new baby potatoes, steamed and mashed
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 rice flour + 3 tbsp more for coating
1 medium onion, finely chopped or minced
1 heaped tsp garlic granules
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp roasted ground cumin
1 tsp coriander powder
1 heaped tsp paprika
1 tsp anchor (mango powder)
1 level tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped or 1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp salt or to taste
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil and the 3 tbsp rice flour, in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Knead until it all comes together into a smooth mixture.
- Work 1/2 tsp of the olive oil well into the mixture.
- Take a small bowl of warm water and moisten the palms; divide the mixture into the desired size and shape (I made golf-sized balls). Keep moistening the palms to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Place the remaining rice flour on tray or large platter and roll the fish balls in the flour until evenly coated.
- Place the remaining oil in another bigger bowl; transfer the fish balls into this bowl and swirl the bowl until they are all coated in the oil.
- Cook in an air-fryer or heated oven for 15 mins at 180 degrees.
- Serve with your preferred dip with pride 😊