Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1″ root ginger, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1″ stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cups hot water
- salt to taste
How to cook
- Rinse the rise and drain thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over a medium flame and the cook the onions until softened and only slightly browned.
- Add the bay leaf, cinnamon and cumin seeds; allow the seeds to change colour.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 2 mins or until slightly browned.
- Stir in the peas and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add the rice and stir fry for 20-30 secs.
- Add the water with the salt and bring to boil.
- Seal the pan with foil and cover with the lid and cook on low heat for 25 mins (use a heat diffuser beneath the pan if it is not a non-stick pan).
- Remove from the heat and allow to settle for 5 mins before serving.