A simple, nutritious protein rich dish to be enjoyed as a meal in itself or served over a bed of rice.
Cooking Time: 40 mins
1.5 cups red lentils
1 red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1″ root ginger, minced
1 tomato, chopped
2 celery sticks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp grounded cumin, preferably roasted
1/4 red pepper flakes or chilli powder
Salt to taste
2-3 cups water
For the tempering
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 bay leaf
6-7 curry leaves
How to cook
- Wash and drain the lentils and place in a medium saucepan with the water.
- Add the vegetables, garlic, ginger, onions and spices.
- Stir well and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer over a low flame for 30 mins or until the lentils and vegetables have softened.
- Gently mash using a wooden spoon, add the chilli and salt.
- Cook uncovered for another five minutes or until the desired consistency is reached. Remove from the heat.
- Place a small non-stick pan over a medium flame and heat the olive oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and allow to sizzle.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until slightly browned.
- Add the bayleaf and curry leaves and stir through.
- Pour the tempered spices over the cooked stew and cover immediately to seal the frangrance.
- Stir well before serving.