Inspired by my recent trip to the beautiful city of Istanbul, I present to you this timeless vegetarian recipe, simple yet appealing as an accompaniment to pilau rice.
Cooking Time: approx. 45 mins
- 1 large aubergine (eggplant)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
How to cook
- Wash and dry the aubergine and slice into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Score each slice lightly and rub in the ginger paste, salt and dry spices. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to allow the spices to penetrate the into the flesh of the aubergine.
- Heat the oil gently in a skillet and fry the slices of aubergine in small batches, turning over halfway to ensure they are evenly cooked. Remove from the pan when golden brown on both sides and place on kitchen paper to drain off any excess oil.
- Arrange on a serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm.