A rare Sunday at home with an opportunity to cook something different from the norm. Nutritious and bursting with delicate flavours, this is a vegan dish which can be enjoyed by the bowlful on its own or combined with any curry or side dish of your choice 😊
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 tbsp oil
- 4 cardamon pods, split
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 bayleaf
- 10 black pepperpods
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic & ginger paste/purée
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 + 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small tin or 1 cup frozen sweetcorn
- 1 cup frozen petit pois
- 1/3 green or red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil gentle then add the whole spices; wait till they sizzle and change colour.
- Add the onions, garlic & ginger, stir well and cover. Cook over a medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add the dry spices and cook gently for a minute.
- Stir in the vegetables, except the spinach, and mix well, allowing any moisture to cook off.
- Add the spinach and stir well.
- Add the water with the salt, turn up the heat and bring to a good boil.
- Stir in the rice and bring back to boil.
- Time down the heat, cover the pan with a sheet of foil and then the lid. Cook on high heat for 2 mins, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 mins.
- Turn off the heat and allow to stand for a few mins.
- Remove then lid and foil (with care) and fluff the rice gently with a fork.