Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Posting on demamd, this is a healthy, gluten-free easy alternative to regular chapatis which I have adapted from the mum-in-law – the inspiration behind much of my creative cookery 😊
A runny batter ensures the rotis are spread thinly and cook inside out without burning.
Enjoy with your tea as breakfast or some yogurt and any side dish of your choice as a complete meal.
- 1 1/2 cups gram flour
- Handful fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp crushed red chilli
- Pinch of turmeric
- Salt as needed (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
- 3 cups water (enough to make a runny batter)
- Mix all the ingredients to make a runny batter.
- Gently heat a tava or wide shallow frying pan. Spray with oil – to ensure the roti does not stick.
- Pour enough mixture to fill the base of the tava or pan in a thin layer.
- Cook over a medium heat until the mixture has set – about 3-4 mins.
- Flip the roti with a slotted spoon and cook the other side until completely cooked – another 3-4 mins.
- Repeat steps 2-6 until all the mixture has been used.
Note: The number of rotis this recipe yields will depend on the size of your pan. I used a pan with a 21cm wide base and made 4 rotis.